Re: KdePIM results testing migration from Plasma 4 to Plasma 5

Hello.

Am Mittwoch, 16. November 2016, 13:31:12 CET schrieb Shawn Sörbom:
> 2. My messages imported alright...but they were imported as a separate
> directory structure. Long story short, I now have two "inboxes"-one of
> which  is empty.

I didn´t use any KDEPIM Settings Importer or other import functionality in
KMail. I just moved the maildir directories over to the new location in
~/.local/share/local-mails and pointed the maildir resource there, then gave
it some time to synchronise. Also I let it pick up the old kmailrc.

Okay, there is one additional step: Before that with KDEPIM 4 I moved all mbox
archival folders I had in the mixed maildir resource to an extra resource and
switched the main maildir resource from mixed maildir to plain maildir. I
still didn´t point a mixed maildir resource to the old archived mails in
KDEPIM 5 as last times I tried to do it ate all memory.

Maybe you have two mail related resources now. If so you can remove one with
Akonadiconsole for example. But make sure to pick the right one :). But even
if you pick to wrong one, you can recreate a maildir resource and point it to
the maildir location again, as deleting the resource does not delete the data
it handles.

Read:

Akonadi misconception #1: where is my data?
Submitted by amantia
https://blogs.kde.org/2011/11/13/akonadi-misconception-1-where-my-data

And this one:

akonadi/KDE PIM backup/restore
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kdepim-users/2016-October/000351.html

> How do I go about providing bug reports from here?

Thats a tough one. Why?

- I think upstream as in bugs.kde.org would be the right recipient.

- But I think upstream neither has the interest nor the manpower to handle
issues related to migrate from KDEPIM 4 to 5 anymore – unless it a fix for a
bug reproducable within KDEPIM + Akonadi 5. Stable Debian users are among the
latest users to migrate.

- Quite some of the issue like loosing filters may already be reported and
lingering in upstream bugzilla.

- Report in Debian then? I think Debian Qt/KDE maintainers do not have the
resources to do much more than to refer to upstream. I am happy they are able
to provide packages, although for KDEPIM it would be good to have 16.08
instead of 16.04, but this AFAIK is still blocked by packaging Qt WebEngine,
which basically is a port of Chromium´s Blink webengine.

Still if you want to report anything: Good luck!

Otherwise I suggest to struggle your way through. Review resources in this
list and in upstream kdepim-users list. Especially in kdepim-users mailing
list, but I think also here I covered migration issues more than once. And so
did others. Most if not all questions have been answered already and I don´t
even completely recall it all. I migrated more than a year ago and forgot most
of the process. If you need help, ask. At least you do the migration only
once.

I especially would ask in kdepim-users for any open migration issues. There
are a lot of users who did the migration and there are upstream developers,
too.

Am I happy with that? Not really. But thats how I see the situation. Migrating
from KDEPIM 4 to 5 has been rough for many users.

Thanks,
--
Martin