Re: KDE Frameworks 5.25: Be careful with dist-upgrade

On vrijdag 19 augustus 2016 13:19:23 CEST Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> You most definately do not like this, so watch out carefully on
> dist-upgrade.
> From what I gathered from aptitude its just the state of a partially
> uploaded  KF5 5.25 in unstable, so waiting seems to be the best option.
> However, I will try with a partial upgrade, instead of dist-upgrade. Okay,
> and this holds almost all of KF 5.25 back.

It always surprises me that ppl use dist-upgrade/full-upgrade by default.
There seems to be some 'rule' that when on sid you should do a dist-upgrade,
but I never understood why.

I use 'aptitude safe-upgrade' by default and right now due to the partial
upload of KF5 5.25 there are 27 packages not upgraded. And that is fine and I
know it will be resolved in time.
It's only when there are pending upgrades for days to a week that I start to
consider using 'aptitude full-upgrade'.
If I want to know *why* packages are being held, I do an 'aptitude full-
upgrade -s' to see why those packages are being held.

And when I do that now, 'cause I'm curious, I can see that the KF5 packages
now have a condition in them to avoid the situation/bugs we had earlier due to
a mix of KF 5.22 and 5.23.
Thanks Maxy :-D

At other times an 'aptitude full-upgrade -s' points out that a manually
installed package needs to be removed and that's a good time to evaluate
whether that package's state may need to be put to automatic with 'aptitude
markauto <pkg>'.
Another useful command is 'aptitude safe-upgrade <pkg>' where you upgrade a
single package to their latest version.

HTH,
  Diederik