Re: High CPU load caused by plasmashell

On Mittwoch, 15. Juni 2016 09:05:16 CEST Marc Haber wrote:
> I have two desktop machines and two laptops running current unstable
> with KDE. Both desktops do have the issue that plasmashell suddenly
> begins taking a full CPU core while staying fully responsive. This
> especially happens after suspend or when the system was idle for some
> time, for example when I go to lunch and return an hour later.
>
> X itself takes about 50 % CPU if this happens.

Could be one of the plasma applets you are using. They are running in process
and if one of these things go crazy… Do you use any additional applets?

> Killing off plasmashell and starting a new one solves the issue.
>
> Is this a common issue? Is it already known what causes the issue?
> What can I do to find out what happens?

I didn´t see this kind of behaviour since a long time.

> Do the current unstable KDE packages have debugging symbol
> counterparts? I am a bit outdated on the availability of debugging
> symbols for Debian packages, there was a change in their generation
> last year, I think I remember, right?

I think these are now in dbgsym packages and you need an extra line in
sources.list to get these. I do not fully remember what this line looks like
but it had something along with "debug" in it.

> I am not using many fancy plasma things, I have a single panel with a
> quick launch applet, a desktop pager, a task bar, a tray and a clock.
> And two additional clocks on the desktop.

Hm, maybe one of those clocks? Did you also test with a standard
configuration?

> What might be going wrong here?

Wonderful question. I don´t have any good answers on how to efficiently find
it out, except trying with a standard configuration and then applying change
after change until finding out what causes the issue.

> P.S.: This is what a freshly started plasmashell writes on its
> terminal, is there anything I should be worried about?
>
> kscreen: starting external backend launcher for ""
> org.kde.plasma: unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
[… more of these …]
> No metadata file in the package, expected it at:
> "/home/e13itfe/.config/pic//metadata.desktop" No metadata file in the
> package, expected it at: "/home/e13itfe/.config/pic//metadata.desktop" No
> metadata file in the package, expected it at:
> "/home/e13itfe/.config/pic//metadata.desktop" QFont::setPointSizeF: Point
> size <= 0 (0.000000), must be greater than 0 No metadata file in the
> package, expected it at: "/home/e13itfe/.config/pic//metadata.desktop" No
> metadata file in the package, expected it at:
> "/home/e13itfe/.config/pic//metadata.desktop" No metadata file in the
> package, expected it at: "/home/e13itfe/.config/pic//metadata.desktop"
> file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.systemloadviewer/contents
> /ui/CompactBarMonitor.qml:45:20: Unable to assign [undefined] to QColor
> <Unknown File>:
[… tons more of debug output …]

plasmashell outputs a ton of debug output. And frankly I have no idea on
whether anything of this mentions the cause of your issue.

Excessive plasmashell debug output is known by upstream and I think there have
been some attempts to mitigate it. I think it would be good if it only outputs
when it really has a problem that affects the user by default and only
outputting developer debug information on request.

You could try to disable debug output via kdebugdialog and then restart
plasmashell on console again, to see whether it outputs anything it considers
to be an error. Not sure how helpful it is tough.

Another thing would be: Does it loop any message when it utilizes CPU heavily?

Thanks,
--
Martin