Re: kdepim 16.04 from experimental (UPDATE)

Hi David,

On Mittwoch, 8. Juni 2016 17:05:36 CEST David Goodenough wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 June 2016 17:34:51 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > On Mittwoch, 8. Juni 2016 17:20:38 CEST Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > In case you want to try it, also install the package kdepim-addons,
> > > otherwise mails are displayed without header and you cannot select a
> > > header
> > > template in "View / Headers"
> > >
> > > I will rebort bug.
> > >
> > > Otherwise it works really nicely for me. Diederik has issues tough.
> > >
> > > Of course, if you want to wait till it receives some further testing,
> > > then
> > > wait till its updated to unstable or migrates to testing.
> >
> > OK, beware. Diederik just told me it doesn´t work at all for him. So if
> > you
> > depend on it, better wait!
> >
> > Cause: Going back to KDEPIM 4 without a backup is not supported. It will
> > *change* the Akonadi database + file database layout (for better
> > performance).
>
> As a matter of interest, is there a list of what needs to be backed up?  BTW
> saying that we should use the Export Data -> Backup menu option only works
> if you are using mysql, if you are using any of the other database options
> it will feil because it aways uses msqldump whatever the database.

Well

1. ~/.local/share/akonadi contains db if it was started by Akonadi (no
external db) and file_db_data

2. ~/.config/akonadi

3. ~/.kde/share/config/akonadi*

4. I´d also make sure to have a copy ~/.local/share/local-mail or wherever
your local mail has been stored and all other primary data for your calender
and addressbook resources. Where resources store primary data you see in the
config files I mentioned in 3.

But scratch all that:

Make a complete backup of your home directory, just in case. You backup it
anyway, don´t you? Still above information may help you in case you need to
restore your old KDEPIM without wanting to restore your complete home
directory.

I suggest the following approach:

- Don´t use export/import. As from many reports I think I don´t think it will
work reliably and if so, will take ages.

- You can try whether automatic migration works.

If automatic migration does not work:

1. Make sure your maildirs are in ~/.local/share/local-mail, if its still in
~/.kde/share/something I´d move the folder to the new location

2. Make sure your calendar and addressbook are in default locations (dunno
whether these changed for Akonadi/KMail 16.04, I bet they still store them in
~/.kde/share, but you can still look at ~/.config/akonadi* akonadi
configuration files (that is the new location of these, see 3 above)

3. Rename ~/.local/share/akonadi and  ~/.config/akonadi

4. Let Akonadi reindex all resources from scratch.

Yet there is a slight risk that your current Akonadi still has some mails you
moved around recently in file_db_data or the database itself and you would
loose these.

In case you just use IMAP accounts I suggest the following: Wipe all old
Akonadi stuff and restart from scratch.

I know this can be rough. I migrated from KDEPIM SC 4 and Akonadi 1 to KDEPIM
5 and Akonadi "2" quite some time ago as I compiled both from git master
myself. I do think the automatic migration kind of worked, but it may have
also been that I did the second approach and recreated the configuration and
database from scratch letting Akonadi reindex all resources then.

I suggest to refrain from creating bugs with the Debian bug tracker related to
the migration from KDEPIM SC 4 and Akonadi 1 to KDEPIM and Akonadi 16.04 as
any those issues are very likely upstream issues and I bet the Qt/KDE Debian
team lacks the time to do much about it. Also KDEPIM SC 4 and Akonadi 1 are
unmaintained, so…

This is a rough overview of what I know.

Thanks,
--
Martin