Recommended way of updating Debian testing when new KDE frameworks rolls in?

Recently, I noticed that KDE Frameworks packages (such as libkf5*) started updating from 5.16.0 to 5.22.0. I suspected that partial update of those packages can cause instability, but decided to experiment, and yes, it caused a major mess with fullscreen applications like games hanging the desktop and other bugs happening. So I reverted Debian to previously usable state (20160523T045008Z snapshot) where I keep it now and periodically check changes like this:

aptitude search -F"%p %v %V %d" libkf5 | grep -v none | grep -v 5\.22

I wait until that list goes down and all 5.16 → 5.22 transitions are exhausted.

In general, is it always recommended to wait until all likf5* reach the same version before updating? Or they are supposed to be interoperable in the mixed installation and my case was a bug which shouldn't have happened? And what else in KDE requires synchronized update to avoid problems?

Thanks!

Hillel Lubman.