Re: Yay, its coming!

Hi Marc,

On Donnerstag, 19. Mai 2016 07:53:12 CEST Marc Haber wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 07:35:01AM +0200, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> > On Thursday 19 May 2016 07:21:10 Marc Haber wrote:
> > > So current Plasma and KF _can_ run with Qt 5.5?
> >
> > I would be _very_ surprised if it wouldn't as Qt5.6 wasn't released when
> > the current versions were build.
>
> I had the impression that Qt5.6 was the show stopper for current
> Plasma and KF for the half year we have been waiting for a more recent
> Plasma and KF. I had even pondered to ditch Debian on my work laptop
> for a distribution that keeps up better with KDE development.

I thought that Qt 5.6 blocked Plasma / KF as well… but well… I bet the Qt/KDE
team changed the decision to first transition Qt into unstable and then the
new Plasma / KF packages.

Marc, I look at the *current* situation. And I am happy already seeing easily
50+ updated packages arriving in unstable in the last 24 hours, maybe more.

I get the impression that you look at the past. What for? Are you willing to
use learning from the past to help to improve the process of Debian´s Qt/KDE
packaging? If not, looking in the past just serves feeling unhappy instead of
being happy that Maxy and others work hard at improving the situation. If
thats your choice, fine, but I will not join this way on looking at it.

Maxy worked a lot on automatic packaging for Debian Plasma / KF packages,
which is important considering the vastly increased amount of individual
upstream packages. You can see results of his work at the "[Automatic
Packaging]" section in the changelog of newer packages. I like that he invests
time for that work which hopefully will reduce time required for packaging in
the future and help to keep up with the high development speed of upstream in
a quite small packaging team. What has been contained in a few large packages
is now spread over several hundred packages, so any work to automate parts of
the package upgrade process is well spent.

So I really think this is something to celebrate, instead of to grumble about.

Thank you,
--
Martin