Re: Re: Huge disk I/O during login (Plasmashell?)

On Tuesday 29 September 2015 15:48:35 Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 September 2015 08:55:22 Frank Mehnert wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > for a few weeks I experience a huge disk I/O when opening the KDE5
> > session. Logging in from sddm takes ~2 minutes. I run Sid with the
> > latest updates: The usual plasmashell desktop with Kmail/Akonadi/
> > Baloo but file indexing is disabled. I have a local mail folder of
> > ~2.7G and Akonadi/mysqld show some activity during session start.
> > Just a normal notebook hard disk (no SSD).
> >
> > But I think that ''plasmashell --shut-up'' provides a significant amount
> > of disk I/O when opening the session and that's weird. I have almost no
> > activities configured, only panel + task bar, a single static background
> > image.
> >
> > Any idea how to decrease the disk load during login?
>
> In my case the stuff that makes apt update it's database also plays a huge
> role in this, but mostly the first time I turn on the machine each day.

The apt database is not updated automatically here but you are right: The
huge I/O load is only visible the first time I login after the machine was
booted. Today it too ~100 seconds to login. When I logout+login it takes about
10 seconds and disk activity is almost zero (8GB RAM here). I assume that
some disk caches are checked for consistency. I never had similar problems
with KDE 4.

Frank