Re: Plasma desktop unusable in stretch

On 03/09/15 12:21 PM, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 12:03:04PM -0400, Gary Dale wrote:
I've tended to view "testing" as a rolling release
That's the main misunderstanding.
We had several tries to design and/or create a rolling Debian distro but
there is nothing currently existing AFAIK.
And it takes a lot more effort than is currently spent on unstable and
testing (which is already a lot).

I didn't say that it was a rolling release, but it actually makes a pretty good one with no extra effort on the part of the package maintainers - at least most of the time. Just change the release procedures so that you don't let broken major packages out... Testing should not be less stable than sid.

The other thing that keeps "testing" from being a rolling release is the months-long period when features are frozen to prepare for the move to "stable". I can live with that because I can always pull packages from sid if I desperately need a new feature.