Re: Plasma desktop unusable in stretch

On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 12:43:37 +0200
Christian Hilberg <hilberg@kernelconcepts.de> wrote:

Hello Christian,

>> You appear to expect somebody (well, several
>> somebodies) to stem the tide to avoid problems.
>"Expecting" is not what I meant to express, it is more like "being

I wasn't sure, hence my writing "appear to..."  Having cleared up a
misunderstanding about the unstable->testing migration, I can tell
you're a lot less angry (I use the word cautiously; it may be too strong)
about what's going on ATM.

>Sure. Since there are the brave ones running unstable, I thought this
>is where the biggest breakages were going to be caught and eliminated
>before the packages entered testing.

By and large, the biggest breakages _do_ occur in unstable.  The current
situation is, in the time I've used testing (approx ten years),
unprecedented.  I've seen the odd package or two migrate that couldn't
be installed, but never on such a huge scale.

>> 1) deal with it yourself
>> 2) use stable
>> 3) use another distro
>3) is not at all an option, sorry. ;-))

No need to apologise, it's not necessary.  In all honesty, I didn't
expect it to be.

>What had me puzzled a little was that I did not experience the KDE
>packaged in testing being in the state it lately has been -- so that
>is what may have misled my "expectations".

Much of the problem, AIUI, is caused by the change to GCC5 for
Kf5/Plasma.  Just look at the number of packages held back from testing
because of it;

Updating gcc-5 makes 408 depending packages uninstallable on amd64:

Note that that list refers to amd64 only.  It may differ on other
architectures.  And that's just the _depending_ packages.  There's
another 318 non-depending packages that are affected.

https://release.debian.org/migration/testing.pl?package=gcc-5 has the
full list.  It includes stuff like LibreOffice and all sort of Python
stuff, not just KDE.

It's going to take a long time to sort it out, I'm sure.

--
 Regards  _
An old custom to sell your daughter