Re: Plasma desktop unusable in stretch

Am 02.09.2015 um 19:50 schrieb Gary Dale:
> I know I've been using Debian for a long time. That's why I'm amazed that something this bad is being put into testing. When KDE4 came along, it at least was fairly stable and usable (if incomplete) before it was moved to testing. If I wanted bleeding edge software that didn't necessarily work, I would be running sid or pulling stuff from experimental.
>
> As your quote says "Those criteria should ensure a good quality for packages within testing." Putting out a broken desktop can in no way be considered "good quality". I run testing because I want to test software, not to get mad at the developers who volunteer their time to get the packages ready for prime time. In this case the process seems to have misfired by bringing us the Plasma desktop when it is nowhere near ready.
>
> This is the third time in the last few weeks that I've been forced to use Gnome because KDE couldn't do even basic desktop stuff. I suggest that testing should revert to KDE4, if that is possible, and wait until KDE5 achieves some level of stability before inflicting it on us again. Let the brave souls who run sid do what they, not I, signed up for.

I 100% support that statement. On the debian wiki (https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting) it says:

	Packages from Debian Unstable enter the next-stable testing distribution automatically, when a list of requirements is fulfilled:
	[...] The package does not introduce new release critical bugs.

and further
	[...] so expect that new stable versions of the programs you use will be installed as soon as they are ready for next-stable testing

That said, by no means I would expect a completely broken KDE Desktop in testing.

Matthias