can't start plasma desktop

I shut down my computer Saturday morning after installing the latest updates to Stretch. Prior to that I'd been logged in for several days.

Yesterday evening I restarted the computer and tried to log in via sddm (the only dm I have installed). The progress bar gets to about 80 - 90% then stops. The machine is locked up but I can use a sysrq sequence to restart it.

I'm able to log in to Gnome Flashback (Metacity) and can run my KDE apps (Dolphin, Kontact, Kate, Konsole) OK.

Tried looking in the logs for a clue but couldn't see anything related to Plasma.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to track down this error. Gnome works but I do prefer KDE.