Mounting usb stick using device notifier - not writable

This isn't really a Plasma/KDE problem, but in case anyone else is puzzled by it I thought I'd post a solution here.

On my laptop (long established) usb sticks show up under /media/angus/Lexar and are writable.

On my newly installed quad core (MoBo discarded by my son, but more than good enough for me) they kept showing up under /media/usb0 and were not writable.

Following a few hours lost in the joys of udisksctl monitor, dbus monitor and udev, I happened upon a debian-installer bug report which points out that if one needs firmware from a stick during installation a line such as

"/dev/sdb1       /media/usb0     auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0"

may be left behind by the installer. Commenting this out allows the expected writable kde mount point to be used.

The bug #779208 has been closed 6 months ago, but I installed about three weeks ago from a netinstall image and it bit me.

anxiousmac