Re: Konqueror still usable?

  Hi:

El Jueves, 18 de junio de 2015 18:26:27 Frank Mehnert escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using KDE for many years and I was always using the Konqueror web
> browser in situations where I need a quick web browser and didn't want
> to start the more heavy firefox or chrome browser. For instance when
> reading some news page. I have flash and java disabled for Konqueror
> but for some time using Konqueror is more and more annoying. Adblock
> needs manual tweaking and I experience strange delays when opening
> web pages, could be script-related.
>
> Does it still make sense to use Konqueror in certain situations, are
> there some hints for improving the configuration or should I just
> uninstall it?

  I know what you mean. I'm in the same situation. I've been using konqueror
since I started using Debian and that was loooong ago. It used to be a great
browser: fast, light, featureful. Unfortunately it's not like this anymore.

  Take this example. I'm a heavy tab user and there's a annoying bug that
freezes konqueror when you close a tab (I think it's related to KJS). I'm
telling you this because I'm afraid core web modules are no longer maintained,
being javascript interpreter one of the most influencing in the user
experience.

  Besides this, there are 2 rendering engines for html: KHTML and Webkit. KDE
decided to used webkit as default engine and it indeeds improve user
experience. I'm not sure when the switch happened since I'm always being in
favour of KHTML whose integration was better. Nowaydays, unfortunately both
have problems with the most recent features a browser are required. For
instance, HTML5 videos works on some webs with KHTML and not with Webkit,
whereas webkit works better on pages with heavy JS usage.

  It's even worse if you try and use for a short time iceweasel, like it
happened to me. Then you get used to get things working on almost all cases
and you are subconsciently moved away from konqueror. Anyway, I still resist.
Let's see.

  Disclaimer: I haven't use KF5 yet. I don't know how things are there.

> Thanks,
>
> Frank

  That's my experience, HTH.

--