Re: Possible akonadi problem?

On Fri, 2 Jan 2015 11:28:53 -0500
Brad Alexander <storm16@gmail.com> wrote:

> Over the past two to 3 months, I have had a
> problem with kmail on my laptop, when
> connecting to my work exchange server. I have
> been trying to determine if it is the IMAP
> server, the corporate NAC, or the akonadi
> backend. I talked to the exchange admin, and he
> said nothing has changed on his end since
> before the problems started. I have gotten
> radio silence from the NAC admin.
>
> What happens is that I end up having to restart
> akonadi, sometimes up to 30 or 40 times during
> the course of a work day. What I see in kmail
> varies, from the status bar in the lower right
> sweeping back and forth like a cylon, to it
> getting stuck at some percentage until I
> restart akonadi. Sometimes, I will see messages
> suck as:
>
> request for item 271396 "2040490" failed:
> "Unable to retrieve item from resource: Did not
> receive a reply. Possible causes include: the
> remote application did not send a reply, the
> message bus security policy blocked the reply,
> the reply timeout expired, or the network
> connection was broken."
>
> I also have to restart akonadi in order to see
> new emails that have come in to my inbox.
> Finally, I find that I have a hard time
> deleting or moving messages. The messages will
> gray out in the folder I am in, but never get
> moved. Then i have to restart akonadi, and it
> seems to have forgotten the command to move
> them.
>
> Can anyone suggest a fix or workaround other
> than starting akonadi every 5
> - 10 minutes?
>
> Thanks,
> --b

When KDE switched from KDE3 to KDE4 I immediately
started to have problems related to Akonadi. IMO
the connection of Kmail to Akonadi was an
unnecessary complication. I switched to
Claws-Mail for a stand-alone and self-reliant
mail client and ultimately from KDE to XFCE as my
GUI. KDE, even in classic mode, isn't as handy
as XFCE4.

I still use a few KDE apps such as Okular (Kpdf
is no longer around) and Ksnapshot. One can get
to them from the XFCE menu system. I am not
totally happy with Okular so I sometimes use
evince or xpdf. One hint for Okular: If you use
the Presentation choice under View you get the
true margins. The default should be labeled
"Ridiculous."

 I haven't found a satisfactory replacement for
 the lost and much lamented HTML creation
 program Quanta Plus---the name was kept for KDE4
 but it is now a totally different kind of
 program. Bluefish is the best replacement but
 generally I modify html files in my text editor
 Gvim.

I wish KDE4 were better, but wishing won't make it
so. My advice: look for alternatives. The
developers of KDE are enamoured of the boy scout
knife approach for application development. A boy
scout knife combines many apps, but none of them
are as good as independent single purpose tools.
The KDE4 Kmail is just the most obvious
example. Problems with the Akonadi connection
recur every year or two.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press