plasma desktop broken again :(

The latest round of Debian/Stretch updates proved to be a disaster. Sddm has stopped working as has the plasma-desktop when I used lightdm instead. Sddm never brings up a login panel (or anything else) while plasma-desktop doesn't get past bringing up the initial progress panel (showing no progress) before sending me back to lightdm.

Konsole won't run under xfce this time, and Dolphin crashes if I look at it the wrong way.

And speaking of Dolphin, who decided it would be a good idea to not let users have a real delete option on the menu? While the real delete can bring up a confirming list of files to be deleted, the shift-delete option only does that when you hit shift before you hit delete. Unfortunately doing that can also screw up the list of selected files.

I realize that KDE is going through a lot of changes right now, but can't stuff be kept out of testing until it is somewhat usable?