how to remove widgets in new plasma desktop?

The Plasma desktop just showed up after my last stretch full-upgrade and it's giving me some headaches.
- no volume control
- no apparent way to remove widgets
- lots of weird behaviour when switching between virtual desktops.

The volume control workaround was simply to run kmix, which then installs itself on the panel. The video artifacts eventually go away but it does slow me down (and yes, I am using the open source drivers, not the proprietary ones).

Removing widgets so far has proved to be impossible however. There doesn't seem to be a way to do it from the panel, from the application menus or even by editing the .kde resource files. Clicking or right-clicking (or both together) doesn't bring up an option to remove widgets. Locking and unlocking the widgets doesn't change anything.

How do I remove widgets in plasma5?