Systray: barely visible, monochrome icons

Most KDE icons in my systray are barely visible monochrome outline
variants. In contrast to that, icons for Chromium and Skype are full
color. These icons are nothing new, I think they've been like that on my
system for most of KDE 4.

I figured that some keen-eyed KDE developers must have liked the look,
but maybe it's just a misconfiguration on my computer. So if it is my
own mistake, what do I need to do to get fully colored, nicely usable
systray icons?

My desktop theme is "Air for netbooks", however, the theme selection
doesn't seem to make a difference.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig