Re: What is the baloo file indexer doing?

On Saturday 20 December 2014 18:38:49 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Samstag, 20. Dezember 2014, 18:04:05 schrieb Volker Wysk:
> > > 2) Run kdebugdialog and activate debug for baloo_file, then run
> > > tail -f ~/.xsession errors – This works as well, it may need a
> > > restart of Ballo file indexer tough.
> >
> > I get the messages on the console.
>
> This one may work without restarting baloo. :)

What *I* am seeing there right now is endlessly repeated entries like
this

baloo_file(28519) Baloo::FileIndexingJob::start: ("299868")

The argument in parentheses is *always* the same. Also, when I grep
running processes, I see that baloo_file_extractor is indeed called with
the argument 299868. Which doesn't make sense because according to its
--help text, it expects a URL.

I've only been looking into this because after a reboot, after 10 days
without one, baloo seem to be twiddling its thumbs with high intensity
and no discernible purpose. strace output[*] indicates that while baloo
and subprocesses does open a lot of files, there not one among them that
would make sense to index.

Baloo works a lot better than nepomuk ever did, however, I'm still
hesitant to reboot or start a new KDE session as that is when things
tend to go weird.

baloo is 4:4.14.2-1 on an up-to-date sid.

Michael

[*] strace -f -p `pidof baloo_file` -e trace=open 2>&1 | egrep -v '.kde|
\.local|kdeglobals|/lib|/etc|/usr|/var|/dev|SIGCHLD'

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de