Video playback

Hi,

This was originally posted to debian-user, but aside from the thread getting threadjacked to systemd, I did not get an answer.

In any case, my wife has a Dell Inspiron 5537, 15" laptop. It has an Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller.

Here is my problem. When I try to play a video on this machine, either with mplayer or vlc, the video starts, and I will get about 1/2" of the frame that is actually playing, usually it is at the top. The audio plays normally. This happens whether in a window or full screen.

Videos played in the browser are fine, however, those downloaded from sites played in mplayer or vlc exhibit the same behavior as above.

This machine is running Debian/sid with the latest KDE (4.13) from sid.

Can anyone tell me what is going on or how to get the Intel driver dialed in (or even where to look to diagnose these video problems?

Thanks,
--b