network manager and VPN

This is nothing specific to NM for KDE, but a general question on NM.

How are people using NM and VPN connections ?
VPN connections have a tendency to terminate once in a while, depending
on flakiness on the network, policies etc.

I always wished NM (or Plasma NM) had an option to autoconnect to VPN
for specified network IDs.

To overcome the limitation, for now I have been using NM's dispatcher
framework [1]. Had worked a charm until recently when the new NM
(0.9.8.8) broken. I haven't really had the time to nail down the cause,
hence asking here on how people use NM + VPN.