Re: debian kde will not install deb from dolphin by default

On Saturday 05 April 2014 11:06:11 Fabio Rafael da Rosa wrote:
> After the first boot, I did download google-chrome from the website, and
> tried to install it, without success.
> I did check that, for being able to install something from the UI, with
> a double click, I must install gdebi-kde.
> Why is that not installed by default ?

Because that's not the way most people install programs on their Debian
system. In general, you should NOT install packages by downloading an
installer from some website on the internet.

Debian has a very big library (repository) for installing packages, which are
packed by Debian Developers/Maintainers. This makes sure the packages are well
integrated into your system and don't install a malicous program with a
virus/trojan/etc in it. The system that makes it all work is called APT.

As for a GUI program to use APT to install various programs, you probably want
to try out synaptic.

HTH,
  Diederik

--