KMail: MBox account via sftp -- supposed to work?

I'm looking for a way to monitor local mail notifications on my home
server, ie the stuff cron jobs and daemons send to root and are
forwarded to my user account there.

I'm much in favor of a lightweight solution and I've stumbled upon the
approach to create a KMail Mbox account via sftp:

  sftp://michael@my-server:22/var/mail/michael

This only sort of works. KMail (or the Akonadi resource behind it) read
the mbox's content once, but doesn't appear to update it when new
messages arrive.

I was only half expecting this to work and therefore am not overly
surprised. Nevertheless, I'm wondering if this is *supposed* to work.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de