Re: Re: akonadi failing to connect to database

Thanks Dederik,

Actually, a while back, I had figured out a way to change mysql to mariadb. It was ugly and kludgey, but the couple of times I tried it, it worked. Mariadb is truly a drop-in replacement, from the new tests I have done. I'm not a DBA, but it works underneath things like Nagios...

I have a question (two, actually). I changed $HOME/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc to be QMYSQL rather than QSQLITE3. However, when I try to restart akonadi, I get the same startup messages...

Mysql server executable/server/configuration not tested

Akonadi control process not registered at D-Bus
Akonadi server process not registered at D-Bus
Nepomuk search service not registered at D-Bus

Protocol version check not possible

No resource agents found

Now, I have found akonadi stuff in $HOME/.local and $HOME/.config. I understand that dpkg/apt/aptitude will not mess with local user files, however, if some or all of the files in one or both of those locations went away (backed up, of course), would akonadi reconfigure itself? There is very little information about configuring it from scratch that I have been able to find online.

The second question is that I'm beginning to notice a larger and larger number of kde apps using .local and .config. Is the .kde directory being deprecated?

Thanks,
--b

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Diederik de Haas <didi.debian@cknow.org> wrote:
On Friday 19 July 2013 08:22:03 Brad Alexander wrote:
> Which is a better backend? PostgresQL, MySQL or SQLITE?

MySQL is (by far) the most tested. PostgreSQL should probably work too (but
haven't tried it). SQLite is AFAIK 'too light' for nepomuk/akonadi.

> And if MySQL is the right answer, can I use MariaDB?

I wouldn't do that until MariaDB gets into the debian archive.
--
GPG: 0x138E41915C7EFED6