Re: Re: External hard disk mounted as root only

> Am Sonntag 07.04.2013, 19:29:38 schrieb Adriano Vilela Barbosa:
>
> This is pretty much what I would expect. FAT doesn't know users, so it is
> mounted as your current user. Ext4 knows users and the user information is
> carried across mounts. IOW, for the ext4 partition, you simply need to run
> "chmod -R adriano:adriano /media/Linux" as root, and it should then be owned
> by your user across mounts (at least that is how it works for me).
>
> I'm not exactly sure about the HFS+ partition as I have no experience with it.
> Does it support user/group information in a way that Linux can use? (I'm
> hoping yes, since OS X is a Unix.) If so, you could try creating a
> subdirectory, chown it to your user and see whether the information is kept
> across mounts. Or, you could simply make the whole partition world-writable.
>
> <snip>
>
> > Thanks for your help,
>
> No problem.
>
>   --Reinhold

Indeed, this was much easier than I thought. As I said in my other
email (which I actually wrote before your email above; there seems to
be a considerable delay with the mailing list distributing the
emails), I managed to figure out exactly the same thing you said
above. And yes, it works the the same way with both HFS+ and ext4. I
think that what got me confused was the fact that I've worked a lot
recently with external hard drives using NTFS. As far as I remeber,
they got mounted in the same way as the fat32 (i.e., no permissions).
Maybe Linux is ignoring the NTFS permissions...

Thanks a lot for your help.

Adriano