Re: kdm Configuration

Maximilliano,

thank you for your response, that was very helpful.

Am Mittwoch 30 Oktober 2013, 13:13:38 schrieb Maximiliano Curia:
> Rainer Dorsch <ml@bokomoko.de> wrote:
> > I am trying to configure kdm to show a user list. But no matter what I
> > do, I cannot get rid of the default debian theme without the user list.
> >
> > I added:
> >
> > root@Silberkiste:~# cat /etc/default/kdm.d/90_local
> > LogoArea="Clock"
> > UseTheme="false"
> > UserList="true"
>
> Those values are not supported by the script that updates the kdmrc file
> (check /etc/init.d/kdm script).
>
> I'll say you should avoid using /etc/default/kdm.d/* and modify
> /etc/kde4/kdmrc directly.

With tracing kdm, I managed to get the settings I need. It would have been
much more intuitive, if I  /etc/default/kdm.d would overwrite all fields in
kdmrc and not only a subset (which seem to have also a different
uppercase/lowercase convention(?)).

Here are the notes I took, in case they are useful for somebody else:

 List All Users on Login Screen
==============================
Disabling the theme is required to show user list

rd@Silberkiste:/etc/kde4/kdm$ diff kdmrc.orig kdmrc
328c328,329
< LogoArea=Logo
---
> # LogoArea=Logo
> LogoArea=Clock
378a380
> UserList=true
rd@Silberkiste:/etc/kde4/kdm$ diff backgroundrc.orig backgroundrc
16c16
< Wallpaper=stripes.png
---
> Wallpaper=/usr/share/wallpapers/joy/contents/images/1920x1080.png
rd@Silberkiste:/etc/kde4/kdm$ cat /etc/default/kdm.d/90_local
USETHEME="false"

rd@Silberkiste:/etc/kde4/kdm$

Disabling USETHEME in kdmrc would be overwritten by
/etc/default/kdm.d/10_desktop-base

Thanks,
Rainer
--