[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

KMail problems followup


As I've written before[1,2], kmail2 has been very slow for me. Today, I 
finally took the time to look into it and I found a workaround. In case anyone 
else has got the same problem, maybe this will help:

Since I had already turned off email-indexing, I somehow thought that nepomuk 
cannot really to blame. Well, today I realized that my nepomuk database uses 
2.8 GB of storage! I have no idea how there could be as much metadata for my 
files (~280.000) and email (maybe 10.000 mails total).

Creating a new nepomuk database (therefore losing any ratings and other 
metadata I might have entered previously) indeed solved the problem for me:

1. Disable nepomuk completely in control center ("kcmshell4 kcm_nepomuk")
2. Kill remaining virtuoso-t processes
3. cd ~/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk/ ; mv repository repository.bak
4. Reenable nepomuk

KMail is now as fast as it used to be. I've also reenabled file and email 
indexing (mostly to see if the problems return).

So before you give up on kmail completely, you might want to see if nepomuk is 
the problem...


P.S.: I just realised that there is a program called nepomukcleaner which 
supposedly cleans up corrupted databases. You might want to try this before 
removing the database completely.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2013/08/msg00009.html
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2013/10/msg00012.html

Reply to: