Re: new version of kmail eat CPU

On Monday 22 July 2013 14:39:40 MERLIN Philippe wrote:
> Hello,
> I am in Debian Sid AMD64 Kmail 4.10.5 and at start of new version of
> kmail, the Cpu are occupied by the process virtuoso_t   ,mesured by
> top its give 130% CPU.Is there anything to do to improve this?

The CPU usage is probably not related to KMail and not even to mail at
all. Open System Settings > Desktop Search, uncheck the "Enable Email
Indexer" checkbox and Apply the change. If that does not change the CPU
usage, even after login out and in again, you can be pretty sure that
your problem is not related to mail.

Much more likely, it is the file indexer that's hogging your CPU. If
you're lucky, it is just doing its intended job of indexing files. If
you have large (>> 100.000) numbers of indexable files, a complete
indexing run can take a day or two.

The index itself is in ~/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk/repository/main and you
can delete it without losing data. In the past, this index has been
unusable a few times on my machine; possibly by corruption or
incompatible updates, I'm not really sure. At any rate, deleting the
index and forcing a restart of Nepomuk (by logging out/in), has cured
the problem most of the time.

Alas, if you are not lucky, like me, then Nepomuk is running in circles,
indexing the same smallish number of files over and over again. If
that's the case, you'll notice it in the Desktop Search Settings where
indexing progress is displayed.

HTH,
Michael

--