Re: akonadi failing to connect to database

On Saturday, 2013-07-20, Brad Alexander wrote:
> Thanks Dederik,
>
> Actually, a while back, I had figured out a way to change mysql to mariadb.
> It was ugly and kludgey, but the couple of times I tried it, it worked.
> Mariadb is truly a drop-in replacement, from the new tests I have done. I'm
> not a DBA, but it works underneath things like Nagios...
>
> I have a question (two, actually). I changed
> $HOME/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc to be QMYSQL rather than QSQLITE3.
> However, when I try to restart akonadi, I get the same startup messages...

Hmm.
Can you run the mysqld command manually?
for me it looks like:
/usr/sbin/mysqld \\
--defaults-file=/home/kevin/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf \\
--datadir=/home/kevin/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/ \\
--socket=/home/kevin/.local/share/akonadi/socket-persephone/mysql.socket

> Now, I have found akonadi stuff in $HOME/.local and $HOME/.config. I
> understand that dpkg/apt/aptitude will not mess with local user files,
> however, if some or all of the files in one or both of those locations went
> away (backed up, of course), would akonadi reconfigure itself?

That would be like a first startup, so that should be possible.

> The second question is that I'm beginning to notice a larger and larger
> number of kde apps using .local and .config. Is the .kde directory being
> deprecated?

I guess so. the XDG locations were introduced at a point where it was too late
for KDE's 4.x series to switch to it but applications built-upon the KDE
Frameworks 5 efforts might.
Akonadi server, being a desktop independent project, would of course not use
.kde in the first place, Akonadi related KDE programs do.

Cheers,
Kevin