Re: Recommended way to use Debian?

Thanks Rubin & David for the replies.

Unfortunately I need Skype, VirtualBox, Oracle JDK and NVIDIA CUDA Toolkit, I need those many times each day for my work as a remote developer. I'd love to get rid of Flash, so just now I switched YouTube to use WebM instead (go to "http://www.youtube.com/html5") as a start. But when I experience browser crashes, it's not while doing anything strange like watching youtube so I don't think Flash is my problem. Maybe when Dolphin or Plasma or Iceweasel crash it really is a problem with my RAM hardware (I put 16GB RAM in my laptop since i often build Android from source and often use WinXP through VirtualBox), possibly related to the fact I use 5GB of RAM as a ramdisk where I do lots of my temp stuff in.

For the repeatable bugs I found in Kate & Inkscape, you guys convinced me I should file the bug reports and then find ways to live around the bugs for the near future. I sent a message to this group recently about the Kate crash because I wasn't sure how to report it, but no-one replied: "http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2013/06/msg00014.html". For the Inkscape crash i tested it on Mint KDE 14, Mint KDE 13 and ArchLinux and none of those crashed, only Debian Stable, and only while using OpenGL as the KWin renderer (ie: it doesn't crash while using XRender), so I'm also a bit confused about whether to file a bug to Debian or to Inkscape, since it seems to have been fixed in recent versions of Inkscape.

I haven't looked into back-porting packages yet since I read on the Debian FAQ that you shouldn't mix both Stable and Testing in your apt source list, but now I realize back-porting is a way to compile new Testing or SID software packages into the equivalent of Stable packages without modifying my apt sources (or am I wrong?). So from you guys it sounds like I should back-port Inkscape & Skype & NVIDIA driver & CUDA Toolkit, since it is possible that my sudden Plasma crashes or Inkscape crashes are related to the Wheezy's older NVIDIA display driver interacting strangely with Optimus technology (dual GPU).

Cheers,
Shervin Emami.
http://www.shervinemami.info/openCV.html