Re: Recommended way to use Debian?

First off I would say simply try apt-get removing most of the odd 3rd
party peices of software you listed in your email. Particularly Skype
and Flash. See if you can go a few days without either of them.

Next step would be simply to try a more recenter kernel (though honestly
3.2.0 is fairly stable on most of the machine I've got Wheezy running on
right now). You can read up about Debian Backports or simply learn about
compiling your own. Google should provide a multitude of guides on
either subject.

I would not recommend jumping to Jessie (Debian Testing) just yet, maybe
hold off another month or two for folks to get past the fanfare of a new
stable release happening. I think you'll find much of the same as Stable
except with the few newer things being slightly broken in some special
way. Keep in mind that Stable was Testing as of a few months ago, it's
still fairly "fresh" or so they say.

Currently I'm running Debian Sid (no Flash, Oracle Java, Skype), which
in all honesty has provided me with less stability problems over the
past year, but more "ho crap apt-get dist-upgrade just puked all over
everything!" issues to deal with than you'll find in Jessie or less so
with Wheezy. Your milage and want to sysadmin your own machine may vary.

Also a note about bugs, you should always file bugs, always always
always, regardless of what version you're running, always. But only
after you do a quick search to make sure your issue hasn't already been
filed. Always file bugs, even for the old stuff. Noting it down is
better than not, it might help with fixing a similar bug in the future.

And remember kids, filing good bug reports is half the contributing to
FOSS battle!

--
Rubin
rubin@starset.net