Re: Re: External hard disk mounted as root only

> Am Sonntag 07.04.2013, 08:20:27 schrieb Adriano Vilela Barbosa:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm having a mounting problem with an external USB disk I just bought.
> > I googled this up a lot, but couldn't really find a solution.
>
> Which file systems do you use for the HD and jump drive (whatever that is)?
> When they are mounted, could you just execute mount and post the relevant
> parts of the output?
>
>   --Reinhold

Hello,

Thanks for your response. By jump drive I simply mean a USB flash
drive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_flash_drive). Mine is using
fat32. The external USB disk has two partitions: one is using HFS+
(with journaling disabled) and the other one is using ext4.

Here's the output of 'ls -lh' executed in my /media directory:

adriano@vaio:/media$ ls -lh
total 24K
drwx------ 4 adriano adriano  16K Dec 31  1969 B192-20DE
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root    root       6 Aug  2  2009 cdrom -> cdrom0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root    root    4.0K Aug  2  2009 cdrom0
drwxr-xr-x 3 root    root    4.0K Apr  6 20:34 Linux
drwxr-xr-x 1 root    root       8 Apr  6 20:47 MacOSX

The flash drive is mounted on /media/B192-20DE, the HFS+ partition of
the external USB disk is monted on /media/MacOSX, and the ext4
partition on /media/Linux. Notice how /media/B192-20DE is owned by
adriano (which is me) whereas the partitions on the external USB drive
are owned by root.

Here's the output of mount (only the relevant parts):

/dev/sdc1 on /media/B192-20DE type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0022,dmask=0077,codepage=cp437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed,showexec,utf8,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/MacOSX type hfsplus
(rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,umask=22,uid=0,gid=0,nls=utf8,uhelper=udisks)
/dev/sdb5 on /media/Linux type ext4
(rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered,uhelper=udisks)

I tried adding an entry to /etc/fstab for the HFS+ partition and
explicitly setting uid=adriano, gid=adriano, but it is still mounted
as owned by root.

Thanks for your help,

Adriano