Re: Status of the kdepim package?

Am Mittwoch, 28. November 2012 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> On Wednesday, 2012-11-28, Julian wrote:
> > On 28/11/12 03:21, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > > While I´d really appreciate testing packages for KDEPIM 2 I
> > > understand that they add additionally work for maintaining them in
> > > parallel. I remember some mentioning of new packages with KDE SC
> > > 4.10 and intent to skip 4.9 due to man power reasons here on this
> > > list.
> > >
> > > So please consult archives. AFAIR its all there.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> >
> > I'm sure there is some reasoning from way back, but its pretty
> > obvious to me that kdepim/kmail/akonadi was a fail for squeeze and
> > other distros.
> > However upstream kdepim and kde in general is moving ahead and you
> > mention that they are skipping 4.9 altogether.
>
> I think what Martin is referring to is that Debian packagers are going
> to skip packaging 4.9
> I am not aware of KDEPIM not having been part of 4.9 upstream.

Yeah. I refered to debian packager plans.

> > I'm quite aware of the bugs with this package so I wonder if keeping
> > kdepim down @ 4.4.x everywhere is the best plan, particularly if
> > the problem is that there isn't much to test.
>
> That version is working very well, so staying at that for the new
> stable was likely a very good idea.

I don´t know KDEPIM 2 from own experience so far, but from what I read on
kdepim and kdepim-users I tend to agree.

And yes, 4.4.11 works really fine here.

Still I hope that the Debian Qt/KDE packaging manages to provide KDEPIM 2
packages for testing, but I fully understand that this will take its time.