Re: plasma desktop hangs

hi miro,
thx for answering.

Am Mo, 2. Juli 2012, 00:44:40 schrieb Mirosław Zalewski:
> On 01/07/2012 at 16:48, chymian <chymian@gmx.net> wrote:
> > BUT: the point here:
> >
> > or even, if a plasmoid can't update it's content!
>
> This is probably caused by plasma design - i.e. all plasmoids run under
> single process. So, if one plasmoid tries to connect, it virtually hangs
> whole desktop for that time.
>
> This issue was discussed some time ago on planet KDE, but I can't find that
> post right now.
>
> I have found that brainstorm discussion from few years back:
> http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=45255
> It seems that rationale was: plasmoid crash causes whole desktop to crash,
> so we should run them in separate processes. But plasmoids don't crash
> that often now, so we do not have to run them in separate processes.
>
> Your case shows that there is still pretty strong reason to run plasmoids
> in separate processes (if only my suppositions are right). You should
> definitely post your findings in KDE forums - either in linked thread, or
> in new thread (which may get more attention).

at the end of the long, dark valley, there is a house - made of paper - and it's starting to rain.

> But you should not post a bug report to Debian's BTS - there is really not
> much that Debian's KDE packaging team can do about it.

That's what I thought and why I'm asking.

> As for corrupted configplasma-desktop-appletsrc file - it would be nice if
> you could provide step-by-step instructions how to reproduce that. I will
> check on Arch Linux with KDE to ensure that this is Debian issue. As KDE
> packaging team recently said on that mailing list, they prefer that KDE
> bugs goes directly to KDE, not Debian BTS. Debian BTS is appropriate for
> packaging issues and things that do not happen outside Debian.

I followed your advice and opened up a new thread:

http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=106640

as you can read there as well, I don't now how to reproduce, other then doing the normal updates, which did scramble the
desktop a couple of times in the last half year.
there had been other people on the list, reporting that. (don't find the mails at the moment)

for me, I start over with a empty .kde in the next days - again :( :( :(
and will monitor more closely on the config files.
if i find a misbehavior again, smashed config-files, etc. I will report.

have a nice day.
günter