Re: Phonon and pulseaudio

On 24/02/12 00:55, Robert van den Berg wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Scott Ferguson
> <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com
> <mailto:prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 23/02/12 14:33, Seb wrote:
>
>     Try paman (Pulse Audio Manager) - set the levels for your devices with
>     it, then just use KMix to control the master levels (alsamixer only
>     controls alsa).
>

> I'm a bit lost on the current status of the different parts that make up
> audio systems in KDE in Debian Sid. I'm wondering what is the
> recommended setup?

That will depend on who you're prepared to listen to ;-)
The Debian recommended way (and KDE) is pulseaudio (that's why it's
automagically installed).

http://www.pulseaudio.org/

> Phonon, alsa, and/or pulse audio? And a adequate
> backend for Phonon: e.g. VLC or gstreamer?

This particular question - and misunderstanding has been covered many
times on the debian-user list, unfortunately it gets drowned out in the
cries of "uninstall pulseaudio - alsa is all you'll ever need,
everything new is bad". :-)

alsa, esd, sdl, jack, etc are managed by pulseaudio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulseaudio

Pulseaudio is a high level sound management system - it gives you a
central place to deal with all local and remote sound systems, and
allows multiple virtual and physical devices to asynchronously use sound

https://www.linux.com/news/hardware/drivers/8100-why-you-should-care-about-pulseaudio-and-how-to-start-doing-it

> Is this the same for Wheezy?

Yes.

> Cheers,