Re: reversed globe rotation on Desktop

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 01:57 AM, David Smith wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I think the situation here with the globe desktop is that if you zoom in
> too far, when you drag and click, you're actually clicking the opposite
> (far) side of the globe.  So you're panning from the opposite side that
> is in front of you. Which is why it pans backwards on one axis and not
> the other.
>
> If you zoom out and click, then you touch the side of the globe that is
> facing you and it would pan as you  expect.
>
> Yes, the panning seems a bit inconsistent based on how far in you're
> zoomed, but it's not entirely clear to me that it's a bug. It might have
> been intentional.
>
> -David

You are right. If the entire globe is in view, panning it with the mouse
acts as one would expect it to. As soon as part of the globe is cropped
off-screen, however, the mouse pointer grabs the far side of the globe
for longitudinal panning. But it still grabs the near side for
north-south panning at any magnification level, which seems inconsistent
to me.