Re: KDE Plasma Workspaces 4.8.3 available in qt-kde.debian.net

Am Sonntag, 20. Mai 2012 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> In the settings for Desktop Search I noticed a new checkbox "Enable
> Email Indexer". Does this work separately from the File Indexer? IOW,

Yes.

> am  I supposed to exclude the folders where KMail keeps its data from
> file indexing?

Yes and no.

It does work separately, but I think it requires KDEPIM 2 (aka of KDE SC
4.6 or higher) to be usable.

As far as I read it still doesn´t work in all cases upto KDE SC 4.8.3.
Some fixes are done for KDE SC 4.9. That said I never tested it myself.
That is just what I gathered from reading kdepim and kdepim-users mailing
list.

I already excluded my mail directory anyway, cause until when I need to
search for me I use what the KMail 1 as of KDE SC 4.4.11 currently
included in Debian has to offer.

So I think the real question is: Do you currently use desktop search to
find mail as files on harddisk? If not, I would exclude the mail directory.
If you use it however for something you do not like the current search
function in KMail 1 that has to scan the indexes and possibly mails during
search, I recommend to keep the mail directory included until you got
KDEPIM 2 packages and the search stuff in KMail 2 works to your
satisfaction. Then I would keep the mail indexer disabled until you
installed the first KDEPIM 2 version.

Thats at least from what I understood so far.