Re: Good music player suggestion

Hello,

On Fri, 11 May 2012 12:45:26 +0200
Mirosław Zalewski <miniopl@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:

>Could you be more specific about the issue? Maybe it could be solved somehow.

Whenever MPD is playing, other audio sources freeze moments after starting, or
error out - for example mplayer starts the video, but freezes up. Seeking
works, but the picture always freezes again after a frame or two. As soon as I
stop MPD playback, the video starts playing normally, with sound. The other
way around - when mplayer is playing a video, MPD errors out with "error
opening audio device".

This happens with MPD and any other audio source (I've tried mplayer, various
music players, system notification sounds, pidgin notification sounds and few
more). All the mentioned sources work together just fine, MPD is the only one
that doesn't play with others.

I've tried both "alsa" and "pulse" audio output in MPD, with same result. MPD
does support pulseaudio output (mpd --version).

I guess this should belong to a bugreport for MPD, but since you asked... :)

>I am using Cantata, KDE client for MPD. It has ability to play files outside
>MPD database and "streams", but I have never used either, so I can't tell how
>they are working.

I'm mostly using mpc to control playback (via various keyboard shortcuts in
KDE), and ncmpcpp (ncurses client) to adjust playlist.

--
Andrej Kacian