Re: Options for kdepim using kde 4.7/unstable?

Am Dienstag, 13. März 2012 schrieb Sune Vuorela:
> On 2012-03-13, Modestas Vainius <modax@debian.org> wrote:
> > kdepim 4.7 is crap, you don't want to use it
> > if you value your data.
>
> I officially disagree.

Hmmm. I never did test it.

From what I read on kdepim and kdepim-users mailing lists there have been
quite some users having had severe issues with it. There may be quite some
users not having issues and these may be less vocal about it tough.

Anyway I read that KDE developers fixed lots and lots of bugs have for
KDEPIM 4.8 and 4.8.1 and are still being fixed. And did quite some
performance improvements.

Thus from what said I suggest not to use the older KDEPIM 4.7.x, but
instead  KDEPIM 4.8.1 or (preferably) 4.8.2 when its out or even 4.8.3 or
later. I do hope that later 4.8.x versions of KDEPIM will be suitable for
production use and I wonder what the plans on official KDEPIM 2 packages for
Debian are.

I think at some time it makes sense to actually try it. I am quite
reluctant still since I have a ton of a lot of mails in lots of folders
received via POP3 and I do not want to run into any data loss issues. Sure
I have backups, but not daily and loosing mail isn´t fun.

Maybe its time for IMAP, but there have had been a report on mail losses
via IMAP as well[1][2]. And I am not talking about meta data here. I know
Akonadi only stores metadata and just caches mail bodies for a limited
about of time.

Well anyway I do think its no digital crap / no crap. But it had severe
bugs and I think it is still maturing a lot.

From what I read. As written, I didn´t yet test it myself. I thought about
duplicating all my mails on the server and use KDEPIM 2 in a VM with the
duplicated account, but OTOH I´d like to avoid this extra work.

Thus I´d like to be confident that all mail loss issues have been fixed and
watch that no new reports on mail losses appear for a while. That said,
also KDEPIM 1 did have some mail loss issues AFAIR - index and low free
disk space related. But at least the index related one I remember was more
of a metadata issue that could be fixed by stopping KMail, deleting the
index file of the folder and then starting it again.

I can stand some other bugs and issues. KDEPIM 4.4.5 also still has some.
But mail loss is something I like to avoid. There is no 100% guarentee
ever I know tough. I also try out BTRFS since about a year already, so I
think I take some risk with KDEPIM 2 as well. And I think the point when I
like to try it is approaching in the next months.

[1] [Kde-pim] 4.8.1 + akoandi 1.7.0 + bogofilter results in mail loss
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.pim/32830

(I do use CRM114 for local filtering, so that may apply to me too).

[2] [Kde-pim] Mail loss when moving email while it is downloaded
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-pim&m=132846426028371

Ciao,