Re: How to rescue a screwed up install of KDE on wheezy

On 10/10/11 14:04, Harry Putnam wrote:

> So far having just 1 would not have been so smart.  Ditto for .xinitrc
>
> dpkg-reconfigure kdm now done (on reboot I see no improvment)  I
> logged in as different user so .xinitrc should not have been a factor.
>
> It was a gnome gui login.

It's the desktop (from your description, part of it anyway) - the login
is normally done through gdm3..... however

> However gdm3 was taken out of service some
> time back with rcconf

rcconf!?

OK - that explains a bit.... you have Fluxbox/Blackbox/Fvwm, GNOME,
*and* now KDE installed (that's a lot of desktop environments) - and
you've customized the start up services.

But - if you removed gdm3 from the startup process using rcconfg - how
come you login using it?

Without asking a lot more information it's hard (for me) to give a
simple fix....

*If* you removed gdm3 from the start process - and your selections list
(from dpkg --get-selections) is correct, then the only graphical login
screen should be the KDE greeter from kdm:-
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_OZHbJ8c71OM/SE_5EhFQwHI/AAAAAAAABK4/sNbJrkoZyzA/s400/kdm-1.png

At the login prompt - is a graphical login or a text login?

If it's a graphical login choose KDE from the session list, then login
as a user (don't login to the user with the .xinitrc - unless you
actually followed the instructions to move that).

If it's a text login - login as root and run:-
# /etc/init.d/kdm start

That should give you a graphical login - choose KDE as the session type,
then login as a user (don't login to the user with the .xinitrc - unless
you actually followed the instructions to move that).

Hopefully someone else can assist you from here - I'll be offline for
the next couple of days.
NOTE: from reading your posts on debian-user it appears you are also
compiling x from source - not sure how that will affect a desktop
manager/graphical login

Cheers