Re: kwin 4.6.5 crashes when enabling effects with mesa 7.11 and intel sandybridge

Am Montag, 29. August 2011 schrieb Yannick:
> Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > I think there was an environment variable for that...
>
> Hi Martin,

Hi Yannick, Michael, hi .*,

> I had the same problem with the same configuration.  Kwin was saying it
> could not use direct rendering.  I managed to get it working forcing
> KWIN_DIRECT_GL to 1.
>
> For this, I use a shell script on ~/.kde/env with:
>
>  #!/bin/bash
>  export KWIN_DIRECT_GL=1
>
> I hope this will help you.

Thanks, Yannick. This does work.

Okay, Michael, this also answers your question whether kwin crashes with
direct rendering forced. No, it doesn´t.

So there are two issues:

1) kwin crashes with blur effect and indirect rendering. I think thats
purely a KDE/kwin issue.

2) kwin switches to indirect rendering due to changed OpenGL renderer
string for Intel DRM in Mesa 7.11. Where to report that? Also kde-window-
manager? According to mesa-devs I believe so, cause they tend to think
that relying on a certain renderer string is bad. I tend to agree also
Martin Graesslin, kwin developer, pointed out that there is not much of
another alternative.

Please advice where to file bug reports.

Thanks,