kdepim and akonadi

Hi,

if I got that right, current (4.7) kdepim uses akonadi as a storage backend
for everything.

Some questions regarding that:
- nowadays I have a ~/Mail with a maildirish structure. Will that cease to
  exist under an akonadi-based kmail?
- same thing for korganizer - one vCalendar file in the fs. Will that
  vanish too?

The background - as far as I know, akonadi uses a big, fat mysql db for
it's storage. And don't ask me, how much hours I spent debugging such
generic storages in the past (not especially akonadi but I have no reason
to believe that it will run with less hassles). And I'm not even talking
about backup and restore of parts of the data.

And now the question - I don't need desktop search, I don't need fancy
tagging, I need a managable, stable system (no, don't ask me, why I'm using
KDE anyway). Is there a way to get completely rid of akonadi at least for
mail storage, calendar storage, address storage etc?

I observed that kmail from unstable blocks if akonadi is not running,
complaining "weee - i need akonadi to run", and if it's true that they are
so tightly coupled that would be a clear cut case for me.

regards,
	Dietz