Re: kdebug defaults/build options

So, turning off everything in kdebugdialog didn't silence kwrite on the comand
line?
No, it did.

> Any more thoughts on how much debug output is reasonable? Obviously it
> makes some sense for errors and warnings to be reported, but a lot of the
> output is only "trace" type debug output which is often only useful to
> people debugging or optimising applications so IMO shouldn't be enabled by
> default (although feel free to disagree if you have a use for such
> output). Of my current 160000 line log file, 2600 lines are matched by
> 'egrep -i warn' and another 800 by 'egrep -i error'.

Turn off everything. :)
That was the idea. You can see it didn't work.. maybe little KDE app bugs left the rest of those boring messages?

> Where does that leave us? Put up with it as is? Rebuild without debugging
> output enabled? Just disable all entries in kdebugdialog by default (this
> solves my issues anyway)? Ask KDE devs what their intentions are (maybe
> there are some KDE devs on this list)?

Debian should default to disabling all messages via kdebugdialog.
Sounds OK.

But you're saying you can't actually use long KDE sessions? I restart my laptop once a week or so (although maybe 2/3 of that time it's suspended to RAM), running KDE with kontact, kdevelop and konqueror running most of the time. I don't have a problem any more (actually, it was only a few annoyances to start with), so maybe debian should simply disable everything in kdebugdialog by default as Bruce said?

-Dig