dolphin as the file manager

I have had bad experiences with the new dolphin file manager in KDE, so
thought of asking here.

Have people been using dolphin? I have very frequently seen problem when
trying to copy multi gigabytes of data, the entire desktop to freeze and
the I/O to stall. First impression one gets is that it could be the
linux kernel. But honestly, the linux kernel has the best I/O
performance afaik.

So I initiated the file copy in dolphin and it *crawled*. The mouse
stalled and looked like a freeze. Knowing that it was dophin (or
kio_file, or nepomuk, or whatever), I saKed it. And then initiated a
simple 'cp'. With that everything worked great with a throughput of 15
MiB/s.

So, does the KDE file manager do a super copy that cripples? Or is it
Nepomuk causing the trouble (even though it is disabled on my box)?

I should spend time in profiling/debugging the cause but real life
doesn't allow that. Do others face problems with Dolphin (or KDE's file
managers using kio_file) ?

PS: With all small problems piling up in KDE, I'm already drifting.
Browser: Iceweasel/Chromium
Email/NewsGroups/RSS: IceDove
File Manager: "Yet To Find".
IM: Pidgin
Network Management: Wicd

Are there users who still run a *Pure KDE Installation* successfully ?

There still are good applications though:
Amarok, Ktorrent, Okular, Konsole, Quassel, Digikam/KPhotoAlbum, SMPlayer

Ritesh
- --
Given the large number of mailing lists I follow, I request you to CC me
in replies for quicker response