Does KDE reset mouse acceleration properties?

I've recently started to use a Microsoft Arc Mouse and the first thing I
noticed was that the mouse pointer was moving much too fast. Even at the
slowest setting available in System Settings, it was still too fast.

After some search, I had come up with an autostart script that slows
things down to a speed I can handle.

#~/.kde/Autostart/slow-down-mouse
#! /bin/sh -e
MOUSE="Microsoft Microsoft® 2.4GHz Transceiver v5.0"
xinput set-prop "$MOUSE" "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 8
xinput set-prop "$MOUSE" "Device Accel Adaptive Deceleration" 8
xinput set-prop "$MOUSE" "Device Accel Profile" 2

This is rather inelegant as it is only for one user and only takes
effect after KDE has started. Through further searching I found that I
ought to be able to set things according to my preferences in a
configuration file like this

#/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-mouse-acceleration.conf
Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "Microsoft Arc Mouse"
    Driver "evdev"
    MatchUSBID "045e:074f"
    Option "AccelerationProfile" "2"
    Option "ConstantDeceleration" "8"
    Option "AdaptiveDeceleration" "8"
EndSection

Indeed, this achieves the desired effect before KDE is started; while
the KDM greeter (login screen) is shown, the mouse is slowed down
properly. But later in KDE, the mouse is again at undiminished speed. It
seems as if KDE is doing something here that it ought not to.

On a slightly different note, I'm curious how others deal with their
mice. Am I just manually challenged and everyone else actually wants
their mouse in turbo mode?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig