KDE 4.6.2

I just upgraded my laptop (Dell Latitude E6500) running sid to kde 4.6.2. Did an apt-get upgrade/dist-upgrade, added the qt-kde repos and installed kde 4.6.2. Had to then do another dist-upgrade to get all of the kde packages that weren't upgraded by the previous steps.

Okay, so now, I logged in to kde from kdm, and the desktop loaded, but then it crashed and fell immediately back to kdm.

So I moved my .kde directory out of the way, restarted the X server and tried to log in again. This time, the desktop loaded fully, but any clicks (like on the K menu) crashed the desktop again. I started the desktop in Gnome, and it works, however, starting any kde apps kills the Gnome desktop.

In .xsession-errors (which I have attached from my last login to kde), I see a lot of

plasma-desktop(20319)/libplasma Plasma::FrameSvg::resizeFrame: Invalid size QSizeF(0, 0)

This culminates in

QMetaObject::invokeMethod: No such method LauncherApplet::toolTipHidden()
[/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub] virtual Soprano::ODBC::Connection::~Connection() Q
Thread(0xfd43f0)
polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit4: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit4: sending SIGHUP to children.
klauncher: Exiting on signal 1
kdeinit4: sending SIGTERM to children.
kdeinit4: Exit.
QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running.

Can anyone tell me what is bombing out and what I can do to get back to kde from gnome?

thanks,
--b