Re: Newbie - help needed!

On Sunday 17 April 2011 10:33:28 daveh wrote:
> Sirs
>
> I am running Debian Sid with the Gnome desktop, I have installed
> everything on your website http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/. I would
> dearly love to try out the KDE desktop, but cannot find a way to switch
> it on! I have made a .xinitrc file as suggested in a 2006 post, but
> think that it must be deprecated! and YES the file is executable!
>
> Ta in advance
>
> Dave Hansford

Hello Dave!

You have at least two ways to try KDE:

- From gdm (the screen that let's you log in with your user and password),
there must be a button somewhere to let you choose the desktop you want to log
in.

- Set kdm as default. Log in in a real console and as root, run dpkg-
reconfigure kdm. Select it as default. Restart X and be sure to choose the kde
desktop in the login (this time, with kdm).

Regards, Lisandro.

--
<elruso> angasule: tenes el teletransportador encendido?
<gurtaj> :P

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/