Re: Learn packaging

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 1:29 AM, Eric <eric.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > third: when I install something in /usr/lib/ and when I install
>> > something in
>> > /usr/lib/kde4/?
>>
>> This is not something that you decide, this is something that the kde
>> buildsystem decides. /usr/lib/ contains public libraries, while
>> /usr/lib/kde4 contains mostly plugins and other stuff that are private
>> for kde and can be used only through the public kde libraries. You do
>> not need to concern yourself with this.
>>
> And how I know in which package I put new file?

Yeah, this is not very easy. You need to either figure it out from the
filename or by looking at the source tree to find out where in the
hierarchy the file comes from. For example, let's say you are building
kdebase and you have a new file that in the original source tree is
build from somewhere under the dolphin/ directory, then you know that
this file is part of dolphin, so it must go with the rest of the
dolphin files. In this case, dolphin is in a separate package, but
this is not always the case.

>> > fourth: can I stop building debuging packages?
>>
>> Why would you want to do that? I guess the answer is no, we need
>> debugging packages.
>>

> They take much time to build in the end, I am impatience.

They do take some time, indeed... but it's not that much ;) However,
it is the very last thing that gets built, so while it is building,
you could open another terminal and continue work there. To disable
them you would need to remove them from debian/control and possibly
adjust debian/rules too, but I don't think it's worth it. You may need
them for testing, if something crashes.

Regards,
George