Re: KDE SC 4.5.0

On Wednesday 11 August 2010 22:52:28 Sam Leon wrote:
> On 08/11/2010 10:24 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > My opinion only.  I'm not on the team, nor do I speak for it.
>
> Well 4.5 does have 16,000 bug fixes....

And probably a like number of new bugs.  Also, does it contain fixes for any
of the important bugs: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-
bin/pkgreport.cgi?ordering=normal;archive=0;src=meta-kde;repeatmerged=0 --
ones which are actually known to affect Debian users?

NB: Congratulations to the team for the zero RC bugs on that page.

> And it took 6 months to get here, a shame to miss by only 1 week....

Next time, ask upstream to release a week early. :P

Seriously, every time there is a freeze some pet package misses the date just
"just a few days" and someone starts whining that the release will somehow be
lessened by it's absence.  Having the latest version is not always be best
option for a stable release.  (In fact, I think is it rarely the best option.)
It is better to have the stable release be well-tested software that has as
few bugs as possible on release day.

A high-quality release means less time spent my the maintainers on fixing
issues in stable.  The can lead to more time working on unstable and
collaborating with upstream, which means fewer RC bugs in testing and unstable
as well.  All Debian users win when we get a high-quality release.  I think
the best way to do that with the KDE SC included in the release is to focus
efforts on KDE SC 4.4, back-porting fixes on KDE SC 4.5 as needed.

Getting KDE SC 4.5 into Squeeze is defensible, and if the packaging team
decides to do that I will be appreciative.  But, because of my trust in the
maintainers, I will also be fine if they choose to have KDE SC 4.4 be in the
squeeze release instead.