Re: Akonadi with external MySQL

On Wednesday 09 June 2010 15:10:38 Valerio Passini wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to spare resources in my system and since I have successfully
> set up a MySQL db for amarok, I was thinking about using a similar
> solution for akonadi. So far and despite a lot of problems, I have been
> able to run it.
> The documentation around Internet on this topic seems rather limited and
> that's probably why I initially failed.
> Summarizing:
> I have created a database using mysql called akonadi with proper user
> and password.
> In akonaditray, I have configured the external MySQL server (db name:
> akonadi; host: localhost; username: myname; pw;mypw).
> The most important option I have set is actually "Options". I changed
> the line originally written there with the following:
> UNIX_SOCKET=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
> I don't know why akonadi was otherwise unable to start.
> Then I needed to add an address book. I opened kontact ->  contacts ->
> New -> Add new addressbook and from that point I followed the wizard
> just to migrate my resources from kabc to akonadi.
> During the populating process, there were several errors related to
> birthday resources (they are annoying, but they seem not harmful. I just
> closed them). Anyhow, the birthdays seem correctly displayed in
> Calendar.
> Finally, in system activity there is just one MySQL process and not two
> as previously, sparing around 20MB of RAM memory.
>
> Valerio

I have the same setup as you (in squeeze). I receive "unknown error. (Unknown
resource)" error messages regarding the address book and the birthdays.

I have more problems with the address book. First, while the Address book
option in akonadi points to /home/robert/.kde/share/apps/kabc/stdvcf/ and
while this folder contains contacts, they don't appear in kaddressbook.
Second, there is address info in /home/robert/.kde/share/apps/kabc/ in the
form of std.vcf. I can read those, however I can't make new contacts. I can
make new contact groups, but I can't add contacts to them. The file persists
but the contacts disappear after a few seconds.

Do these things work for you?

One factor that could make it more complex is that the directory
/home/robert/.kde/share/apps/kabc/ is a sym link to a network drive.

By the way I don't mean to hijack your thread but since we run the same setup
I'm curious about your experience. My apologies if this is perceived as such.
(I haven't spend much time on research because I find it a bit daunting to
start looking for akonadi)

Cheers,

Robert