Re: Issue between KDE 4.x

Am Samstag, 10. April 2010 schrieb Christophe Prud'homme:

> ** Very slow desktop
>
> With 4.3.x and 4.4.1 (and possibly earlier versions of Kde 4 I cannot
> remember ) I
> had also plasma or the desktop that would become incredibly slow to
> the  point of being unusable then sometimes
> after a little while it would be back.

Just for the record, I am experiencing similar problems: X (or KDE) becoming
almost unusably slow. FWIW, I have a Lenovo Z61m with a Radeon Mobility X1400
chipset.

When I'm just working on the notebook display, everything is fine usually, but
when I connect a separate display, performance decreases a lot.

Suspend works fine for me, though. With 4.4.2, I even get a nice notification
that the display settings have changed afer having plugged the notebook in the
docking station and waking up from suspend.

> In my opinion, there is something wrong KDE/Plasma and its use of OpenGL.
> Before this experience, I blamed nvidia and was looking
> for changing my laptop and use ATI but now I definitely blame KDE/Plasma

Have you tried not using desktop effects? Does that make a difference?

Cheers,
Carsten